Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lessons from a NEW Homeowner

Lessons for hiring a contractor:

When someone says they found them on Craigslist, JUST SAY NO. Craigslist is 5 years past its prime and is now reserved for lonely hearts and serial killers. 

When you go ahead and hire him and your obnoxiously friendly dog growls at him, fire him. Dogs are the best judge of character in the 'verse. 

If for some reason you decide to stick with it, never, ever agree to any contract that asks for money before the job is done. Even if you are being bullied by the guy into signing, even if the price is really good. Never agree to this. I knew it but for some reason decided to sign anyway. 

If said contractor brings his dog and chains him in your front yard without asking, fire him. Highly unprofessional. I'm a dog person, but if I hired you to do a job, you conduct yourself as a professional and not some guy living in a van down by the river!

If you still decide to stick with said asshat, remember to be kind but firm. If you acquiesce, one time, the asshat will regard you as a pushover forcing you to assert yourself and look likes bitch for standing up for your home. 

We hired this guy to renovate and remodel our master bathroom. We agreed to 14 days and an amount. The payment schedule was broken down as 45% down, 45% upon demo and 10% upon completion. I thought that was a little crazy, but it needed to be done. During this time, he was Tiling the tub in the guest bathroom, and kept finding things he said he would just throw in for free. On day 18, he wasn't finished with the guest bathroom and demo'd the master. I said I wasn't comfortable paying him til at least one was fully completed. We got into a shouting match and came to an agreement that if he finished the guest I would stick with the contract. He hastily finished I paid him and haven't seen him. Today is day 23 and he has told us that he is not coming back and would send us an invoice of the work he provided. We've already paid him 90% of the agreed upon price and only demo'd the contracted work. I'm absolutely livid!  I know I made mistakes in this process, at least 5 as you read above, come on!  He claims I broke the contract and won't tell me how. I did no such thing. 

Luckily, my father in law and his friend are coming down tomorrow, originally to help put in floors, but now to do plumbing, framing, mold eradication, electric, drywall, and pour the slab on top of the sub floor. Then I can paint and we can hire a highly recommended from a trusted source tile guy. Floors will just be put off for another week or so. Which is fine. I'm just upset about the money. 

So for now, to lower my blood pressure, I'm watching Harry Potter and having a few or so Straw-ber-Rita's. 

No comments: